Greenwashing is a thing (unfortunately). It is the practice of making an unsubstantiated or misleading claim about the environmental benefits of a product, service, technology or company practice. Greenwashing can make a company appear to be more environmentally friendly than it really is.
Over the past few decades Greenwashing has changed a lot. Consumers can search online for information, there are more watchdog groups today, etc. But this oversight doesn’t stop some brands from making fake green or sustainable claims however.
We take our Be Good. Do Well™ culture seriously. As a start-up, we don’t have all the capital resources necessary to be perfect in all areas, however we push our supply chain partners as far as we can. And in some cases, we chose to find new suppliers.
Our sustainability framework is housed within our Better People, Better Planet™ Initiative.
- We utilize co-working facilities for our offices which have energy saving and recycling programs and we allow our resources to work remotely to reduce driving emissions
- We use digital communication tools to limit in-person meetings and travel
- We limit the amount of printed materials and preach digital first
- We work with the CarbonFund.org to offset our carbon footprint
- We give a percentage of monthly sales to our non-profits who are aligned in four main categories: AIR / LAND / WATER / PEOPLE
- We use recyclable packaging
- We source our packaging from suppliers who are close to our manufacturing locations to reduce shipment emissions
At Vitalibis, we even care about the type of paper which is used for our product cartons.
Fun facts: paper is recyclable up to 7 times based on the quality of the fibers in the virgin product. Each cycle shortens the fibers, rendering the paper impossible to recycle passed a certain point. For this reason, it's also important to consider sustainable forestry standards. All of our product cartons at Vitalibis are FSC certified.
FSC = Forest Stewardship Council. FSC certification ensures that products come from responsibly managed forests that provide environmental, social and economic benefits.
Here are few practice benefits:
- FSC prohibits the use of genetically-modified organisms
- FSC prohibits the use of persistent and/or bioaccumulative pesticides
- FSC prohibits the conversion of natural forest to plantations
- FSC's standards were developed by a broad range of stakeholders, including environmental and human rights activists and forest product representatives
- FSC's audit results are made public and can be appealed for transparency
Look for brands like Vitalibis who go the extra effort to use FSC paper for their cartons. You can verify this by looking at the bottom of each of our cartons to see the FSC certification stamp. It’s important to us, and we know it’s important to you too.
To us, FSC is the top choice, however some brands may tout that they are using SFI (Sustainable Forestry Initiative) paper. Do a google search and you’ll see why FSC is the standard to follow. Here’s one blog article if you’re interested in reading more.
Be informed, be well.™